Run Loco

Camping, running, and friends equals one hellava a good time! I participated in the The Loco Go Big or Go Home Challenge Half Marathon race. In addition to the half, there was also a 10k, 50k, and 100k to which I had other friends racing in.

The race is located in Butte Meadows that is 45 minutes from where my grandparents use to live in the Magalia/Paradise area and where I spent many summers growing up. While I was very familiar with the area, I had never been to Butte Meadows. We arrived on Thursday afternoon where we got a prime camping site right on the creek just a half mile from the start line. Butte Meadows is a small town with a population of 40. The scenery is beautiful and the locals are a relaxed and a tight knit community. Thursday was a nice relaxing day with drinking and stories around the campfire in the evening.



No caption needed. Photo courtsey of Kiley.

On Friday, I went on a leisure three mile run with Penny the Pup and then headed out with the group to Chico. First stop was the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company of course and then onto packet pickup at Fleet Feet Chico. Because some of our group were Chico State Alumni’s we had to make a stop at a bar. Back at the campground it was lights out at 8!

Madison Bear Garden standing under Matt's namesake. Photo courtesy of Jenna.

Sierra Nevada Brewery. Photo courtesy of Jenna.

I was excited to run in the half marathon due to that fact that dogs were allowed to race. They even got a swag bag full of dog treats and upon completing the race, they also got a medal. I absolutely love when dogs are permitted in races as I enjoy running with my dog. Penny the Pup was conditioned to do 13 miles and while we had participated in 5k races before, this race would mark her first long distance race.

The Half Mary started later than the 50k and 100k at 7:30 am. As we toed at the start line, I looked around to see about 40 half marathon race participates. As the horn sounded, Penny was off and running, pulling me behind her. Penny is a front runner and must get herself to the front no matter what. We started off faster than I had wanted, but I had predicted as much so I was prepared.


The course led us to a beautiful fire road lined with tall pines and cushioning our feet was soft red dirt. It was here that I let Penny off leash for awhile. The fire road did have some ongoing climbs, but nothing too fierce. Because of Penny’s dedication to be in the front, we were able to get a good head start, but even so, there were people who passed us. I hadn’t realized that the 50k and 100k folks also came through on the same route so it was at this point that I thought I was 5th or 6th female. At the first aid station, Penny denied the dog bowl that was offered to her and instead, lapped her water from a cup like I did. What a character! Continuing on the fire road, I came to a Y where there was no markings to tell me where to go. Stopping to assess the situation I turned around to see no one in back of me. I pondered what to do next. Do I wait until someone comes along, or make a guess. While I stood there figuring out what to do, Penny got impatient and started veering to the right. Being that Penny has gotten me out of the woods a number of times (I tend to get lost a lot), I followed her lead. Soon we hit road where there were flags and instructions. I read the instructions carefully and was on my way.

The rest of the race was on pavement heading up to the turnaround point and then back to the finish line for about 7 ish miles. Heading up on the pavement was more challenging then on the fire road. I have been having leg issues for the last few months and ups/downs on pavement hurt. So, I started walking. There was no one around and honestly, I don’t care that I walk in races. Some people look down on this, but I got do me. As I was walking with Penny (who is now back on the leash), I hear someone call my name from behind and it was MIke Trueblood who was running the 100k. He looked fresh and we chatted for about 30 seconds until I couldn’t keep up with him any longer and frankly didn’t want to try. So, I stared at his ass while he climbed the hill and passed me.

I would just like to pause in my recap for a moment for some recognition--Mike was running the 100k and I the half, and the dude passed me. The dude went on to win the bloody race having gotten lost (due to poor course markings) a couple of times! Mind blown and hats off to him for a well deserved race win!

Coming up to the turnaround it was here that I noticed the gal who was in 2nd place was now in first. She truly looked amazing and kept a great steady pace. I cheered for her while passing and noticed that the (original) 1st place gal was now behind me. I scratched my head at this, but found out as she caught up to me that she also took a wrong turn. Even with her getting lost, she still managed to pass me. I complimented her on this and she fired back with nothing but complaints. (At the finish line, I also applauded her efforts as she finished 2nd female where I again got a series of complaints from her. This gal told me that she should have been first and blah, blah, blah. Admittedly, it left a bad taste in my mouth. If you don’t know someone and they are congratulating you, please people--Be humble. Say thank you! Look, I am not saying you can’t vent about your race, but do it to your friends and not some stranger. Or, at the very least, show some fuckin’ class).

The rest of the race was uneventful. I could tell at the turn around that I was placed as 3rd female. This folks would never happen in a bigger race, but I will take it! I cheered on the other runners heading up the hill and even saw Matt B. (50k) and Genna (100k, 1st female winner). The last aid station was fun. It was a pirate theme and the offerings were shots of Tequila which I did not accept. The last mile was hot and boring, but Penny and I crossed the finish line in 2:23. 1st Pup, 10th overall, 3rd Female, 2nd in my age group. I caught up with Stuart who ran the 10k and got lost and ended up running eight mile, but still had a good time.

Argh!

Loco Twins Post Race at the Pirate aid station

Overall, I had a great race experience and a fun time. A lot of people got lost on the course and I think the improvement would be to have better course markings. That is the beauty of trail races though. They are always unpredictable and often a loco of an adventure!






Comments

Popular Posts