Heavy

On Memorial Day Monday, May 28, 2018, I ran the Wounded Veteran 5k race in Folsom. While I did not PR, I still had a fun time and managed to see a 5k finishing time I had not seen in quite some time. I finished the race in 23:53. This was an excellent test of my current fitness level and I was very pleased with my results.

After the race, I headed to a BBQ with fellow friend runners new and old. Naturally beer was included on the menu and we all had a great time eating, drinking, and laughing. It was at this party that I was told in front of everyone “You’re Heavy.” While we were all joking around and having fun, I was speechless for once. I did not know what to say or how to proceed, so I just responded with a comment of “Oh snap. Burn.” I proceeded to let these words go. I knew the person who said it would never say something like that out of intent or harm, yet my feelings were still hurt. It was later that I tried to make a joke about the whole “heavy” comment and started to cry.

I had no idea that these words would impact me so, but then again, this is a sensitive subject for me. It is true that I have battled with weight issues my entire life. When I started running, I was at my thinnest I had ever been as a naturally curvy girl. In the last few years, I have gained weight which I am currently trying to shed off. I am surrounded by perfectly fit runners on a daily basis and I can’t help but to compare myself to them. Yet isn’t the term “perfectly fit” non existent? Perspective, right.

We are all confident in our skills and abilities, looks and charm, and yet we are all insecure at the same time. Too fat. Too thin. Not big enough. Wrinkles. Cellulite. The list goes on.

I went on a social media rant not to call this one individual out or point blame. My intent was nearly to draw awareness to my actions. Your actions. All of our actions. To be honest, it could have been me that said an insensitive comment and hurt someone’s feelings. In fact, I might have already done so (in the past) and just not have known. We as runners, fitness fanatics, and just plain people, try to put ourselves in a box of how we should look, perform, or even just be. We all suffer from insecurities. We are our toughest critics.

I think the biggest take away from this is to be mindful. Instead of pointing out each others flaws, let’s motivate, support and encourage! To that regard, we all make mistakes and instead of bashing on people, let’s learn and move forward in a positive direction.

I am completely overwhelmed by the out pour of support and comments from the Social Media post on Instagram and Facebook. I sincerely thank you for all the love and encouragement. I cherish you all for the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, and the inspirational.


Popular Posts